Artist John Seabury, currently with 37 posters in the Moonalice Series, will be teaching the art class Drawing Upon Imagination focusing on Cross Hatching, Scratchboard, Stippling, and several other drawing techniques with an emphasis on creativity and originality.
Classes will be held on Tuesdays from 4 pm to 6 pm at Carolyn Ferris Art Studio in Fairfax, California. This eight-week course is open to all levels of experience ages 14 to Adult.
- Week 1: Getting acquainted, discuss each student’s main focus for artwork. We will also try out a drawing technique.
- Week 2: Pencil. Complete one basic sketch in pencil from scratch. It can be any image but must serve as the basis for a later, more finished work. Focus on composition.
- Week 3: Inking or otherwise finishing the sketch. If you bring a lightbox, you can trace your image on fresh paper, but it is not required.
- Week 4: Shading. Different shading techniques to help choose which techniques you wish to practice.
- Week 5: Self-teaching, or, learn from the masters. Pick a favorite artist whose drawings you admire. Try to imitate their techniques through observation. This will help understand strong points and limitations to further develop an individule style.
- Week 6: Bring toned and/or black paper and light colored gel pens and/or pencils, pastel or chalk. We will examine the differences between drawing with light rather than shadow. No white paper will be used today.
- Week 7: Where do you get your ideas? We’ll talk about coming up with concepts, experimentation, and what to do when not feeling inspired. Scratchboard techniques.
- Week 8: Freehand ink. Drawing without a net. We will also review and discuss the experiences of the previous weeks.
More information at CarolynFerris.com.