Chuck Sperry lives in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco, where he’s made his particular style of rock poster designs for over 15 years. He operates Hangar 18, a silkscreen print studio, located in Oakland.
Sperry works in San Francisco, but exhibits internationally from Athens to Argentina, Bristol to Belgrade (visited Belgrade at the invitation of The Cultural Minster of Serbia).
By conducting workshops and lectures all over the planet, Sperry’s tutelage has inspired a new generation of rock poster and silkscreen artists worldwide.
His artwork has been exhibited at leading San Francisco art institutions including the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts; his prints have been archived by the Achenbach Graphics Arts Council, The Oakland Museum of California, San Francisco Public Library (Main Branch), the United States Library of Congress, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
He has brought his rock artistry to projects for Goldenvoice, Live Nation, Virgin Megastore, Guitar Center, Random House, Harper Collins, Harvard University Press, Nylon, and Wired.
Released in early 2009, the documentary film “American Artifact” prominently features Chuck Sperry. He has been featured in documentaries for film and television in the US, Europe and Australia.
One can find his art featured in many books, most notably The Art of Modern Rock, Peace Signs, The Anti-War Movement Illustrated, and Street Art San Francisco: Mission Muralismo.
Chuck Sperry has honed the craft of designing and hand screen printing for over 15 years to become recognized throughout the world as one of the foremost rock poster artists and printmakers. Elevating the craft to fine art, Sperry creates socio-political artwork beyond rock. He adheres to the ideal that beauty strengthens his message.
Moonalice posters by Chuck Sperry
- M44 › 2/13/08 20th Century Theater, Cincinnati, OH, poster by Chuck Sperry
- M77 › 6/7/08 Olive Alley, San Francisco, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M104 › 8/24/08 Commons Beach, Tahoe City, CA, poster by Chuck Sperry
- M120 › 10/9/08 Sellersville Theater, Sellersville, PA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M121 › 10/10/08 Narrow Center for the Arts, Fall River, MA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M140 › 2/22/09 Skipper’s Smokehouse, Tampa, FL poster by Chuck Sperry
- M147 › 3/13/09 Owsley’s Golden Road, Denver, CO poster by Chuck Sperry
- M153 › 3/29/09 Club Congress, Tucson, AZ poster by Chuck Sperry
- M155 › 4/3/09 Slim’s, San Francisco, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M161 › 4/10/09 Don Quixote’s, Felton, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M185 › 7/14/09 Jewels in the Square, Union Square, San Francisco, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M194 › 8/14/09 Hop Monk Tavern, Sebastopol, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M200 › 8/22/09 The Green Spot, Coos Bay, OR poster by Chuck Sperry
- M264 › 4/10/10 E-String Bar & Grill, Henderson, NV poster by Chuck Sperry
- M307 › 8/13/10 Don Quixote’s, Felton, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M333 ♦ 1/3/11 Slim’s, San Francisco, CA poster by Chuck Sperry
- M454 ♦ 4/8/12 The Art of Moonalice at Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY poster by Chuck Sperry
- M503 ♦ 8/01/12 AT&T Park, San Francisco, CA poster by Chris Shaw and Chuck Sperry
- M677 ♦ 4/20/14 Gathering of the Tribe at Slim’s, San Francisco, CA poster by Chuck Sperry